Sunday 29 September 2013

SUMMARY

I can confidently say that even from this brief blog insight there is clearly a lasting influence on modern day menswear from the Casuals culture. The realisation that inspiration from all walks of fashion can be combined, no matter what the social standing or occasion: the overcoat with a tennis trainer; a tracksuit top worn outside of sport with a classic trouser; even a golf style knitted jumper in a club.

 From a personal point of view I suppose I could consider that my career path within graphic and fashion design is not that of coincidence. Through my football circles I was exposed to the importance of the branding and credibility of a design product, in particular, fashion. I believe this has stood me in good stead whenever digesting a visual brief.

I find it fascinating that such a basic, often barbaric social movement, with little understanding or real appreciation for quality clothing craftsmanship, can have such a immediate and lasting impact on the fashion industry. The notion that the Casuals somehow dictated the direction, public perception, and fortunes of large corporations, is pretty impressive. ....... A 'one up man-ship' for the humble man.

No comments:

Post a Comment